Thursday 5 January 2012

Breaking news

As soon as I knew the news, I wanted to tell my husband.  I called him from the shopping centre at Canary Wharf; there's nowhere quiet, but it wasn't quite the lunchtime rush.  He's not really supposed to answer his phone at work, so I knew he'd be a bit guarded.

"Hello?" he said.

"Hiya, it's me," I said.  "Unfortunately we're not going to be able to go zorbing for your birthday."

"Oh," he said, still with his "professional" voice on. 

"... Because I'm pregnant!"

"Right," he said.  I knew he couldn't really talk, so it was really amusing to listen to his muted reaction.  He continued, "And is that definite?"

"100%, the doctor said."

"OK.  Thanks for letting me know."  I smiled.

"See you later," I said.

When I did get home, he met me at the door with a massive hug, and a special dinner he'd cooked in honour of the occasion.  A lovely evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment